We are pleased to welcome researchers back to the Africana Library. Please note, that only current Cornell students, faculty, and staff who have been approved to be on campus may make appointments to use the library for research/study. We regret that we are not able to welcome visitors from outside the Cornell Community to the Africana Library at this time.
You may request a zoom consultation with the Africana Librarian by going to Meet a Librarian. Be sure to select Africana Library and describe what research help you need.
For current information on Library services, please see the Hybrid Library for a Hybrid Semester webpage. This will also include information about contactless pick-up at the Africana Library.
We offer appointments Monday-Friday, in one-hour blocks from 10:00am-5:00pm.
To request an appointment, please use Chatter. Once you are logged into the system:
- Select room type (Quiet Space).
- Select a building (Africana Library).
- Africana Library information will appear.
- Click on “Book.”
- A new window will open up.
- Select the date you would like to come in to do research/study.
- Select your designated seat.
- Select the appointment time.
- Once you book the appointment, you will receive an email confirmation.
- Be sure to bring the email confirmation with you to your appointment.
Arriving for your appointment:
- Be sure that you are cleared to be on campus.
- Have your Cornell ID ready.
- Have your confirmation ready.
- Wash your hands before entering the library.
- You must wear your mask the entire time you are in the library.
- Before and after use, please disinfect your workspace. Cleaning supplies (hand sanitizer, gloves, disinfectant spray and paper towels) will be provided by the library.
- Please sit at your assigned seat and do not move any furniture.
- You may be able to book another appointment once your first one ends.
- Request a new appointment in Chatter to see if there are any seats available.
Special seating for faculty:
- We have set aside a special seat for CU faculty who want to use the Africana Library to do research. This special seat is designated only for Cornell faculty who have been approved to come to campus.
- This seat will be available Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm. You may book the seat in 2 hour blocks. You are also free to renew the seat if it is available. To book a seat call us at 607-255-3822 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If this seat is occupied at the time you want to use it, you would then have to book one of the other eight seats in the library through Chatter.
Stacks access for research for faculty:
- Faculty who are approved to come to campus and want to browse our stacks for research may call us at 607-255-3822 or email us at email@example.com to set up a time to browse.
- Browsing hours are Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm.